Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Group Presentation # 2

Um. This one was long. We had a group present on Thursday the "World Without Secrets."

The gist of the whole book seemed to be how the digital age is changing our everyday lives.

I mean the entire book covered chapter by chapter how we are being "watched" every step of the way (and if we aren't being watching doing something, don't worry--the technology to watch you is coming!). Ordering a book online? They're there! Driving your car down the street? We see you! Big Brother is watching....

lol. Ok, so I'm not so doom and gloom on the whole "Big Brother" is watching thing: to me it's progression, an advancement in technology. I for one am "for" most of those advancements. Still, they brought up a good point later in the book regarding a digital Pearl Harbor.

As with any other significant change in history, there has to be a significant threat. The bring up Pearl Harbor for a reason: our significant loss gave us the strength to change our strategies and turn the war. Not having any significant, credible cyber threat has made "significant" changes in digital security difficult (according to the author).

Hmm, I don't know. I don't think summarizing their presentation of a summary really makes sense. This book seemed to provide a broad base to everything going on, but it was hard to hold on to the information. Maybe it was because the presentation was really long or because to me the book was not something I was interested in. I hate to say that, but I doubt I would pick the book of for casual reading, whereas I felt that I could have done that on our group's presented book.

No comments: